On December 12, 2019, a surprise search was conducted in the Moscow office of Nginx, Inc. Igor Ippolitov, an engineer at Nginx, was the first to inform the public of it in his Twitter. The original tweet was removed shortly after the publication (Ippolitov was ‘kindly asked’ to do so), but other users have saved it and published photos of the search warrant.
Nmap is an iconic scanner broadly used by hackers, and many of them are wondering how to expand its capacity. In most cases, Nmap is used in combination with other software tools. In this article, I’ll explain how to use it together with your favorite utilities. After all, it is much easier to push a button and get the result rather then endlessly repeat the same sequence. Nmap scripts enable hackers to hack networks in a more automated way and help system administrators identify and eliminate built-in vulnerabilities in their protected perimeters.
Open source tools for protection against DDoS (IPS), such as, Snort, are based on DPI, that is, they analyze the entire protocol stack. However, they cannot control the opening and closing of TCP connections, since they are too high in the network stack of Linux and represent neither server nor client side. This allows to bypass IPS data. Proxy servers are also involved in establishing the connection, but they cannot protect against major DDoS attacks, because they are relatively slow, as they work based on the same principle as the server. For them, it is desirable to use the equipment which, despite being not as good as the one for the back end, can withstand heavy loads.
Philip Kucheryavy, Software Engineer in the Operations Team
- He is 24 and has a beard
- In love with Linux and Python
- Has no diploma of higher education
*nix systems are by default provided with remote management tools, while the method of storing and format of configuration files allows you to rapidly distribute the updated version of settings by simply copying them to the node. This scheme will be good enough for up to a certain number of systems. However, when there are several dozens of servers, they cannot be handled without a special tool. This is when it becomes interesting to have a look at configuration management systems that allow a programmable rather than manual configuration of servers. As a result, the systems can be configured quickly and with fewer errors while the administrator will get the comprehensive report. Also, a CM system knows how to keep track of all changes in the server while supporting the desired configuration.
ROSA Linux has no less than seven variants:
- ROSA Enterprise Desktop X 1 is recommended for use in a corporate environment and is designed to equip the workstations and servers without special requirements for information security;
- ROSA Enterprise Linux Server is, in fact, yet another clone of RHEL with some additions from the corporate variant of Mandriva;
- ROSA Desktop Fresh is the most recent distribution that contains the latest improvements from the developer;
- ROSA CHROME is a distribution certified by the Russian Federal Service for Technical and Export Control (FSTEC of Russia) and is designed for work with the state secrets;
- ROSA NICKEL has the similar purpose as the previous variant, but it is certified by the Russian Defense Ministry;
- ROSA COBALT is certified by FSTEC of Russia, including for the work with personal data.
Unfortunately, the last three distributions are not publicly available, and there is no point to talk about ROSA Enterprise Desktop and Server, so this article will focus on the recently released ROSA Desktop Fresh R5.
It often happens that the costs of the project’s hosting service are higher than its other living expenses. It specifically refers to those projects using Amazon AWS extensively. But far from everyone knows that Amazon delivers various means to allow its users to pay less for the use of AWS services.